Another version of the Little Tavern. A chain of hamburger restaurants in Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, D.C., the first Little Tavern opened March 24, 1927 in Louisville, Kentucky, by Harry F. Duncan. The first Washington location was opened in October 1928 and the first in Baltimore opened its doors in June 1930. By 1937, there were 33 shops open. At the height of the chain, there were almost 50 locations. Duncan sold the chain in 1981. The last restaurant closed on April 29, 2008. This painting recaptures the small restaurant as it stood in Baltimore during the early 60's.